Home > Computer & Internet Access > Gaming Room
The Gaming Room is open to all patrons. Please visit the Media Services desk in order to gain access to the room.
The use of the Gaming Room is limited to 1 hour when others are waiting. If there is a wait, simply ask at the Media Desk for a pager and you'll be alerted when it is your turn.
What We Have
- Wii gaming system with controllers (including Wii remotes, nunchucks and Wii wheel). For more information, view our complete list of equipment and games for the Wii.
- X-Box 360 gaming system with controllers. For more information, view our complete list of equipment and games for the X-Box 360.
- Some of the games available for use in the Gaming Room include Mario Kart, Lego Star Wars and more!
Why We Offer Gaming in the Library
Many patrons ask us why we allow gaming in the library. Aren't libraries for learning? Of course they are! According to an article in Library Technology Reports, gaming fosters many different types of learning.
- Games test our problem-solving skills
- Games are inclusive
- Games create community
- Games facilitate learning
- Games provide fields for practice of leadership and team skills
- Games develop identity
But aren't video games violent?
Like television and movies, video games have an age-appropriate rating system.
The library's collection development policy states that we will only make video games available if they meet the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) criteria for all audiences (i.e. E for Everyone.)
Want to play even more games?
Check out the Early Literacy computers in our Kids department, as well as our list of online games for kids.