Home > Features > Celebrate the Arts Writing Contest: Guidelines for 2013
Celebrate the Arts Writing Contest: Guidelines for 2013
The Arts Council of Westerville, Westerville Public Library and ThisWeek Westerville News & Public Opinion newspaper invite participants of all ages to submit original work. This writing contest is one of many events organized by the Arts Council
to mark April as "Celebrate the Arts" month in Westerville.
- An entry may be in any genre (short story, poem, etc.) and on any topic. Artwork is not considered.
- No more than 800 words may be submitted by an author. If more than one entry is submitted, total words may not exceed 800.
- Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org or deliver to
the Youth Services desk at the Westerville Public Library.
- Electronically submitted entries are preferred and need to be in a Microsoft Word, 8 1/2 by 11 portrait.
- Submissions will not be returned.
- Entry deadline is Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 9pm
Entries must be submitted according to the author's grade/age level:
- Students, Grades K-2
- Students, Grades 3-5
- Students, Grades 6-8
- Students, Grades 9-12
- Adults, Ages 18+
Entries must include the following information about the author:
- Author's name
- Grade/Age Level
Attention: Teachers, we must have student contact information for entry to be considered.
Writer's Reception & Published Works
- Winners will be contacted the first week in April.
- Winners will receive their prizes and be invited to read from their work
at a Writers Reception for family and friends. The Writers Reception will be held on Sunday, April 14 at the Westerville Public Library. Readings will be held at 2pm for Grades K-5 and 3pm for Grades 6-Adult.
- 1st place finishers for each level will be published in the local community newspaper, the ThisWeek Westerville News & Public Opinion (print version) in April. The 1st, 2nd, 3rd place and honorable mention entries will be published online. Note: Entries are subject to being excerpted due to content length.
- All contest entries will be published in a professionally bound book available for purchase through Lulu.com. 1st place winners will receive a complimentary copy. The Arts Council reserves the right to exclude an entry from the Lulu book.
If you have any questions, please call the Marketing Coordinator for the Westerville Library at 614.882.7277 ext. 2164.